A whim away

Friday, October 7, 2011

J. McCartney




Do you remember your first fangirl experience? Seven years later and he still makes me weak with his killer eyes and voice. The cute blonde boy I first laid eyes on while watching Video Hits on a Saturday morning, is now a man - might I add, one hell of a ladies man.

Just recently revisiting a performance of his on Law & Order SVU, I applaud him for charming and powerful acting skills. He is also most notable on the TV drama "Summerland" and in the teen drama film "Keith".

Playing back to his first solo single "Beautiful Soul" (2004) - oh how I would listen to the radio all day just to hear this song be aired.


"She's no you" features his then girlfriend Katie Cassidy. From my point of view, setting the video in black and white really emphasizes the suburban coldness McCartney walks through before meeting his girlfriend. One of my favourite videos. 


Here, we begin to see McCartney a little more grown up - with a mature approach, he presents us a new type of sound and pop rock beats in his second album "Right where you want me" (2006)


"Just so you know"


From his third album "Departure" (2009), critics responded by comparing this album to being completely different to the first two albums. McCartney's music style is also now familiarized to the work of Justin Timberlake. McCartney has successfully proved himself to be no longer a teenager. 


"It's Over"


Up and coming fourth studio album "Have it All" (2011) - McCartney commented on the album in an interview with Billboard as, "It's full of sexy, four-on-the-floor beats with big pop melodies... but yet again, some rhythmic, R&B stuff that's pushing the envelope a little bit more for me as an artist," "I wanted to make sure that there were no boundaries. I'm 23, and I wanted to make sure there was nothing boxing me in musically or content-wise."

"Shake"




2004:
"I don't want another pretty face, I don't want just anyone to hold. I want you and your beautiful soul." 

2011:
 "Shorty hitting me up, says she wanna re-up. Knows I got the best in town." 

Songs like this released nowadays are not very appealing to me. Hot girls dancing around him and the music scenes are getting more provocative. In general, I'm disappointed how songs today are depicted as popular. Lyrics are becoming more and more ridiculous. Jesse Mccartney, I still adore you, but you've made me realize how an artist like you has changed your music style in order to fit into the entertainment culture of today. I really miss the days when having a Beautiful Soul was enough to win Jesse's heart, not  a Beautiful Body... 

0 comments: