A whim away

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sweat once a day.



Cardio exercise (40 minutes)
Jogging 5 - 6km/hr on the treadmill
27/2/12 Average distance: 3.5km

Core strength training (20 minutes)
Zumba Fitness Work out


1 hr a day
for 20 days

and I'm still going. 

Previously, I (along with the rest of the world) believed the way to become skinny at a rapid rate was to starve. I would eat less and ignore the hunger pains by sleeping it off. After that I'll crave even more and ultimately binge. I felt disgusted at my actions and regretted every bite I took. I thought to myself "Who would want to look at you like this?" So what did I do again? Starve. If you were thin, you'd always have it better in life. Thin. Thin. Thin. Thin. Thin. There was no satisfaction to this emotionally and physically damaging method of "weight loss". 

My uncle gave me a couple of Zumba exercise videos one weekend and told me in just a week, his abdominal muscles were starting to strengthen. One of the videos lasted for about 20 minutes, pretty easy and quick right? That 20 minutes of video was in fact so painful my stomach became sore the next day. I hadn't done any regular exercise since Year 11 so my body must of went into shock! I couldn't use this tool alone. You need more than just 20 minutes a day to see results, so I decided to combine core strength training with cardio to keep my heart rate up. I took a step onto the treadmill I had neglected for the past two years and boy, I never knew how much I could push myself to. Each day I became stronger, always   pushing myself to do a little extra more each time. Whether it's a few more calories burnt or metres ran than the last session, I continued to build up endurance. I was sweating like a pig. I looked as if I had just given birth to walrus and you know what? It felt so damn good. To me, a day without a cold shower is a day wasted

70% of your abs are made in the kitchen: I'm starting to swap my meal choices with something healthy instead. I don't necessarily feel ashamed of myself when I eat now. There are times when I've fallen, but hey we all have our bad days. It's not the end of the world! Don't always punish yourself! Slow progress is still progress.

After 20 days, I've never seen my obliques quite defined before. It's actually pretty amazing! They're not rock hard toned sexy, yet something is there; and it's mine. I'll keep working. I'll keep going. I'm not blessed with a naturally small unchangeable figure, but at least I'm happy and on my way to a healthier me. Being thin is overrated. Being healthy is being strong. 

Good girls don't eat? 

That's bullshit. 

5 comments:

b. said...

Wow, how exciting! I jog everyday, and unless it's raining, I do yoga for core cardio. I find it more of a means of just staying fit than the whole 'losing weight' fad... I think I've completely shunned the idea of going to the gym because it's too intimidating haha. But this is such great progress, Zumba sounds so fun too... but I almost died once trying haha ==''

Karen said...

Before I experienced yoga in high school, I actually thought it was easy -.-" I was very. very. wrong. haha! Your breathing techniques must be in top shape?....! yay! Awww I too don't want to enter the gym in fear of being judged :P but hey we both get to exercise for free! ;D

Thank you for your words and even though we've never met, I'm already proud of your efforts.

linhee said...

I think it's more important to stay fit than skinny. To me, it's making sure that your body is in a healthy condition and you're also happy with who you are. I used to go to the gym with Amanda, but I'm so poor right now... so yeah. But are you going to plan out an excerice 'regime' like we did for year 10?

Karen said...

Nope, I don't even remember my year 10 plan.

linhee said...

... you chucked it away didn't you? HAHAHA. I remember Mr Black saying 'remember this moment girls. you'll come back to it in the future' :D