A whim away

Monday, August 26, 2013

5 Things I (Re)Learned Over the Past Month

*Inspired by this post

1. Show up on time. To classes, to work and to events. If I loved you enough, I would have met you 30 - 60 minutes later than the arranged time at least once by now. I always kid myself into believing that I have plenty of time: to sleep in for that extra 5...30 minutes, put on my face, choose my clothes, pick out my shoes, pack my bag...oh shit they're already waiting for me....

2. Remind myself that people care about me. For no apparent reason, there's always one day where I'd convince myself that I'm useless to everyone around me. Terrible thoughts come to mind, insisting that it wouldn't be a surprise if all my friends stopped talking to me. Hated me even. I've never told anyone this before because fortunately, I always come out as a winner in the end. I fight off the anxiety. I lift my head up high and smile. I remind myself that I'm stronger, because of you. It would absolutely break my heart if I had lost any of you. You are important to me. 

3. Take care of your soul. Running is therapeutic. It's just me and the music pumping along. I don't answer my phone. I don't care who commented on who or whether I've got any notifications. For one hour, I am free to be on my own. As a result, I drink up more H2O --> better sleep --> amazingly reduced dark circles! Crocheting my beanie plays a role too. 

4. Establish a freaking budget. Spend more on experiences, rather than materialistic items. Save up for one massive shopping spree. Go all out on that day instead of buying things every week. Set a weekly amount for transport. Always carry snacks so I don't end up buying something usually unhealthy when I'm hungry out. Spoil my mates even when it's not their birthday. If they want crispy potato wedges from Maccas, then you get it for them. 

5. Say yes more. Take more risks to new situations and people. Don't be afraid to introduce myself first. Not everyone is going to be my cup of tea, and so will I. You can "kill them with kindness". Hand in my resume face to face.  Be confident or just fake it till you make it! Afraid of rejection? 
"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin (21 quotes to get you through)

6. Get shit done. It's the ugly truth. Do the readings. Do the assessments early. Take this time now to fill my mind with the important stuff for exams. The end of semester 2 is going to creep up on me really fast whether I like it or not. Take advantage of more driving opportunities so I can earn how to fucking merge. 

0 comments: