A whim away

Monday, January 12, 2015

Updated Skin Care Routine [2015]

I thought I'd compare my current skin care routine from three years ago
Pictures can speak a thousand words and so the likes of my expansion in products!


Day (In order of use)
1. Lancome Hydra Zen Neurocalm (Soothing Anti - Stress Moisturising Cream)
2. QV Face Moisturising Day Cream with SPF 30+ 
3. Covergirl Clean Invisible Concealer
4. Eyelash curler (Daiso) 
5. W7 Oh So Waterproof Mascara 
6. Essence black eye liner pencil (For tightlining) 
7. Maybeline Baby Lips Lychee / Rose + Shiseido Perfect Rouge Perfect Parfait (RD305) + Elf Lip Gloss



Night (I use a few products sparingly due to dry skin) 
1. Garnier Pure Active Daily Pore Wash (Once a week)
2. Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips (Once a month) 
3. Garnier Clean Sensitive 2-in-1 Gentle Makeup Remover 
4. Victoria Secret Pure Daydream Body Lotion 
5. Lancome Eau Micellaire Douceur Cleansing Water (Toner) 
6. Lancome Hydra Zen Nuit (Soothing Recharging Night Cream)
7. Maybeline Baby Lips Lychee 
8. Chinese Face Mask (Once a month)



A few of the most commonly used nail polish colours
I mainly prefer warm and dark earthy tones (Dark reds / maroon / marsala). 

Natural methods 

Drinking lemon water:
"The antioxidant properties help combat free radical damage, which is responsible for the symptoms of ageing. 'We know that lemons are rich in vitamin C and that is really what creates collagen synthesis which is wonderful in terms of keeping wrinkles at bay'"*


Ice facial massage in the morning:
"Skin icing helps tighten and shrink enlarge pores by helping to unclog pores that can appear larger due to debris and excess sebum. Icing tones the face, making it look smoother"*

                                                          
Applying cucumbers: 
"Cucumbers have high water content and a cooling quality, making them appropriate to help soothe mild burns, particularly sunburn. They can also reduce swelling and relieve minor skin irritations"*

***
A month ago, I decided to see my aunty who works as a beauty advisor. She instantly assessed my face and her diagnosis inferred the lot: uneven skin tone, open pores, breakouts, blemishes and dry skin all of which are true but have never been spoken out loud. This was a confronting session - I had always been conscious of my skin and took pride and care in to which products and methods to use. Firstly, this was not a moment of disagreement between my aunty and I. Instead, I accepted the opportunity to learn more about the epidermal chemical and biological processes over time. I asked her questions, looked in the mirror, tried on different creams...This was the first time I was able to discuss the properties of my face properly. 

It all came down to being proactive with your routine. I know I will always prioritise skin care products over make up, yet this is only one dimension in maintaining the health of your skin. I cannot stress enough how critical your diet + exercise + water + sleep plays a factor. 


Having experienced the worst breakout of my life early last year, I ritualised my three natural methods everyday. Slowly, (and very slowly) my skin improved and has stayed in it's bettered condition. Sigh, we've all been there! We do not live in a perfect world, with the perfect lifestyle to have the perfect complexion. But hey, it's amazing what paint strokes can do here and there to attain an interest far more than a blank canvas. Sometimes you just gotta appreciate that wrinkle on the corner of your eye, or even the constellation of moles on your cheek that no one else has but you. Yay! 

0 comments: