One of my close friends confided with me last night about a fight she's been having with her best friend. They're going through their final year of high school so I thought it may be the stress that contributed to their fall out. My friend than asked me "Do you have friendship problems? My sister thinks I'm weird."
I thought about it for a moment, trying to unscramble out my answer to her. I finally realized and replied (written in paragraph form):
"Your sister and I are the same age so I might know why we don't have fights with our friends. We're not in high school anymore and during that time, we really took for granted the idea of being able to see each other everyday. Now everyone is separated. It is so hard these days to make time for each other, so when we finally do, we really cherish those moments. It takes the both of us to make an effort to keep the friendship going strong. Sure Facebook / Skype / phone can play a convenient factor when we can't meet as frequent, but nothing will beat face to face. We're just so happy to see each other! May it be after a week or even after months, we just don't waste time arguing over anything. We don't have the time to.
In year 12, you will find out your true friends and by the end of it, you'll only have a handful left. These are the people who know what you have been through to what you are today. Most people at university won't know of that story, they'll ultimately get what they see. So stay close to ones who need you, and the ones that you need. Stay strong."

0 comments:
Post a Comment